Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Ljubljana: new life, new habits

"Where are you, Laura? Where have you been? Where are you moving next?" I get asked that a lot (not to brag). Well, as of today (and the next 2 months) I am in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

View from my window in Ljubljana.

I moved here for two months, to do a module on Identity and Language in the framework of Migration and small nations (I am a student, for crying out loud).

As always, starting a new life (especially a short one) means one thing: series of new habits and promises to myself that I would try to keep but would eventually fail. Doesn't matter, I still love this part.

So, for the next two months, here is the list of my new habits.

1) Eating healthy.


Haha. I got you, right? 
No, but seriously, this is what I would keep myself busy with. I started with something known as "Cabbage Soup Cleans" which was recommended to me by some friends who assured me: "It works!" 

It's a pretty tough diet that goes on for 7 days. For those interested, here is the link: http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/

2) Getting comfortable with myself and my thoughts.


Not what you think, perverts. I decided to start a life where I am not afraid of loneliness. In the beginning of my first year as an MA student I wasn't coping well with loneliness. I was depressed for two weeks, and it took me a whole year to be self-dependent. I think I am on the right track, but I still need some more practice. For instance: traveling by myself, or spending hours reading instead of hanging out with friends and all...

3) Learning how to cook


Probably the worst place to start with that, as students get 50% off for the food in restaurants, which makes it more affordable than cooking for yourself. Still, for the next two months I am learning how to cook.

4) Staying in touch with people I love


Not only through Facebook and Whatsapp, but through postcards and old-fashioned mails. First thing to do - get everyone's addresses.

5) Stop being a shopaholic.


Spending tons of money on things I don't need - that is so me. Well, not anymore. As of October 15th - I am not spending any more money on things I can live happily without. Except for, maybe, when there is 50% sale... or better yet - 70%.

6) Getting real.


One of the advices of my dad, and a new habit: becoming more responsible. Plan and stick to it - that's my new motto. I have decided that starting from today no more missing deadlines and leaving everything last minute. This is the day I grow up, and that is what grow-ups do (I think)!

7) Going back to studying Spanish.

I spent my whole life thinking that I would never go to South America. Well, as of right now it is not so impossible as I thought. So, watching movies in Spanish, reading and maybe finding new friends to practice Spanish would be my thing. Now, where in Slovenia can I find Spanish-speaking people?

_____

Well, this is it for now. If I keep at least 3-4 of these new habits/promises to myself, then I will reward myself with a new laptop. My old one is falling apart already.




No comments:

Post a Comment