Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Becoming religious in Kampala

As many of you know, I used to be hard-core agnostic. Ever since I was a little girl, I was raised non-religious. Although years of being bullied at school for one single sentence "There is no God" in church class, at the age of 23 I managed to stay exactly where I was. Religiousless.

My life has changed now. Even though the concept of God is still beyond my imagination and understanding, I developed a very unusual habit: I started to pray.

Every morning, the entire time between 8:30 and 8:55 I pray to God to survive the chaotic traffic of Kampala. I repeat the action from 17:30 to 17:45, as I rush home from work.

So far, my prayers are working.

My everyday accessory: a slightly-smelly but very useful safety helmet
Even though I don't pray out loud, I have come up with a song that I sing every day on the way. Along with my driver, we proudly sing the following lines, as loud as it can get:

Verse:
Laura: I'm gonna dieeee!
David the driver: You're not gonna dieeee!! (in tone lower, with his deep voice)
Laura: I'm sooo going to dieeeee!!
David: You won't dieeeee!!

And for the Chorus, the lyrics continues:

Laura: Maaaaaam!! I don't want to die!! I am still single and I have no kids. I can't dieeeeee!!
David: You will not dieeeee!!
Laura: DIEEEEE!!

To be honest, our little song attracts a lot of attention from the passers-by, other boda-boda and car drivers, etc. But I think at some point we are making them smile. Not every day you see a singing white girl on a boda, with a mortified face, with her arms around the driver, squeezing his guts and probably causing internal bleeding.

Every day, I pray before going to sleep that tomorrow would be less stressful on the road, but so far it's been the same chaos. I am patient this time.

Wish me luck, and, please, pray for me too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment