Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Conversations that are just too funny

Ever since I arrived to Kampala, I have been engaged in conversations with different people about Armenia.

Most of the people that I have met have never heard about Armenia. Best case scenario - they know Kim Kardashian... I always get asked where Armenia is geographically located, if we are muslim or not, or how is it possible to have a population of less than 3 million. I enjoy those conversations, as they make me feel closer to home, despite the fact that I am on a different continent.

Once, I was talking to my Ugandan family about Armenians and the hair. I told them that we are probably the hairiest nation on the planet, and that our men have hair everywhere: on their neck, shoulders, arms, ears, etc (sorry for being gross). My Ugandan brother (who is 14 years old and naturally curious) looked at my arm, touched it with this index finger and said:

- You said Armenians are hairy. But you're not hairy.

I blushed for a bit. Then I quickly overcame my embarrassment and replied.

- Well, now I'm not. But they will grow in a while.

Looking puzzled, he thought for a moment and asked, sincerely.

- Is it like... seasonal?

I think I laughed for 15 minutes. I said:

- Em... no.

- Then what is it? - he looked as if he could't come up with any other rational explanation.

I think this was one of the funniest expressions I had heard in my life. I needed to share with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment