Friday, August 8, 2014

In Kampala


Hello, hello everyone!!

First of all, I want to apologize for not writing anything for the past months. I was busy enjoying life and I couldn’t quite finish any of the posts I wanted to write. 

I am back now, with tons of things to share!!

To start off, the charger of my computer broke and I didn’t have much access to my blog for the past days. However, a new charger should arrive soon, and there will be pictures and videos to share.
You probably all know that I am in Uganda. Many of you sent me messages with all kinds of concerns about my health, psychosocial well-being, or if I am getting enough nutrition, so I felt the need to write this post for everyone concerned about me.

I AM FINE!

I am healthy, I eat well, and there are no threats to my well-being. Thank you for your worries, but I am really doing great.

About my life right now: I live in a nice house with a local family who treats me like I am their family member. I haven’t met such genuinely nice people, who would be so helpful and welcoming. And I am saying this knowing that I am coming from a very welcoming culture myself. My family here is the reason I feel safe every day. Not safe in a sense that I would otherwise be in danger, but in a sense that in case I find a dead (or in worse case – alive) cockroach in my bathroom, or if there is a gecko in my bed – I know my Ugandan brother would take care of it (and then make fun of me for the rest of the week for being terrified by a cockroach that is “only the size of my middle finger”.

About that “muzungu” thing: For everyone who doesn’t know, muzungu in local language means “a white person” I now feel what it’s it like to look different than the majority, and I think I even understand how it feels to be black in Armenia. Although it is not a derogatory word, it’s still uncomfortable sometimes, but you get used to it. And when 5-6 year old kids wave to you on the street and then get shy when you wave them back – that’s priceless. There is one kid who lives in the neighboring house to mine, who runs and hugs me every day I come back from work. My heart melts a little every time…

About food: it is delicious. I gave up eating the “muzungu” food, and I am only eating local food. All day, every day. One of my favorite is g-nuts with matoke (mashed bananas) or rice, or the local fish sauce. I don’t think I ever ate healthier than here (yay me!).

About my friends: Other than the wonderful family I live with, I have some of my classmates that are also in Uganda. Although most of them are in Nakivale, and so far only one of them in Kampala – it doesn’t mean I am feeling lonely. I have never been better.
The nightlife in Uganda is awesome. I was ignorant enough to think that I wouldn’t have the opportunity to go out in Kampala. It has the nightlife I have never seen before. Well, maybe in Miami, or something… After all, there is no better way to spend your Friday night than going out.
The weather: it’s not as hot as I thought it was. Now it rains sometimes, but the rainy season is yet to come. Not necessarily my favorite, but after Germany and Norway I can survive any amount of rain.

The traffic: My biggest concern so far. It’s crazy! And not crazy in a good way, but in the most scary way possible. Too many cars  during rush hours. But the scariest thing so far is a phenomenon called the boda-boda: the motorcycles. They are the one of the most common used means of transportation. I have to take it every day to go to work and back. So, when people ask me how far I live from work, I reply “20 terrifying minutes away on a boda”. I remember the first time I had to take a boda, I wrapped my arms around the driver,  and screamed for 15 minutes till we reached the city center. Then I was worried if he had internal bleeding because of how tightly I squeezed him. I was terrified. But then I thought I would get used to it… I didn’t. I still mortified every time I need to get from one place to another. I am afraid I will never get used to it.

About the Armenian community: There are Armenians in Uganda (well, I was not surprised. We are everywhere). I visited a nice family to welcomed me with wide arms and fed my Ethiopian food. Yumms! Some others I will meet soon.

So far, the only thing I really miss is cheese.
 …And my family, of course.

To finish, I would just say – coming to Uganda was the best place to do my internship. I am learning new things every day, and this experience is priceless. Wonderful people surround me. The nature is absolutely amazing. I am happy.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them, so go ahead and ask.

Yours faithfully,
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment