Monday, June 24, 2013

The smoothest ride

It's been two months since I've been an intern at UNHCR. To be honest, after the first two weeks of being mesmerized by the fact that I am finally living my childhood dream, entering the shiny building of United Nations, the rest was pretty... casual. I knew that I was not going to change the world or something, but copying and scanning wasn't what I dreamed about doing either. My advice to you: before dreaming about working in one place or another, be very specific of what you want to do there. Me, I thought that just entering the building of UN will open new horizons for me. Apparently, not so much. I wanted to do more, much more...

One day, when I visited the office of one of our implementing partners: Mission Armenia NGO, a very "kind" organization who works with refugees in Armenia. I was present at one of their distributions, where they were giving out all kinds of goods to refugees. One of the social workers, Mrs. T. and I started talking and I told her how much I want to do more than just office work, and we were both brainstorming about how I can help refugees, especially the youth and we came up with something that turned out to be one of the most exciting and unforgettable experiences in my life.

I was thinking about it when I was given the smoothest ride in my life back to the office.

I knew I wanted and I could contribute. Just wasn't sure exactly how...

No comments:

Post a Comment