Monday, June 24, 2013

How "Diversity for Change" was created

What I was talking to Mrs. T. from "Mission Armenia" was a opportunity to apply for a very small grant (1000 USD) to Open Society Institute, called "Youth Action Fund" given to non-formal groups who would impress them with a decent project proposal. Even though I had no experience writing a project proposal or at least coming up with something to propose, I thought I would still give myself a try and at least meet the "informal" group. What do you know, maybe something would come to mind.

Believe it or not - it did. Let me start from the beginning.

I was invited to a meeting of DAFI students. DAFI is an annual Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiate, funded by German government.

There weren't many of them present there. All ethnically Armenian students, mostly fled from Iraq quite a long time ago, with cutest Western Armenian accents... I knew we would go along pretty well.

While brainstorming about a hypothetical project proposal, looking for something simply, classy and worth implementing and wasting time on, I was hearing them talk, having slight difficulties understanding their dialect at first. And then it hit me! What is it that I am good at? What is it that I can do with no problem? What is it that I enjoy? Intercultural communication! DUH!!

So, not to bore you with 48-hour-long flow of ideas and proposal writing (finally all those IREX trainings paying off) we had the most flawless project proposal: trainings for local, refugee and expatriate youth in Armenia. You know how we named it? Diversity for Change!

While awaiting for the reply from OSI, another month came to its end. There, I have been an intern at UNHCR for over 3 months. I extended my internship for another 3 months. I wanted to make a change and finally I had hope that it's possible.

Spoiler! We got the grant!! Wanna learn more about it? Go to http://diversityforchange.blogspot.com/ to see how it all went. Another spoiler: it went amazing.

Before I start writing about my "kids" (that is how I call the participants from "Diversity", because when I am with them I feel like I they are all my kids, many of whom may act like they are 3-4 years old (just kidding) and I just have maternal instincts towards each and every one of them).

For the past 6 months we have had meetings with them, covering different topics like "Stress Management", "Time management", "Effective Communication", co-operating with different organizations like "Mission Armenia", "KASA" Swiss Humanitarian Foundation (the participants really liked the trainer, Marine. She ended becoming a very close friend of ours) and many more (please learn about them from the blog of Diversity for Change).

The project came to its end in June 2013. I will resist being emotional right now, but I would like to express at least what is on my mind right now, may my dad (who always reminds me to be less emotional when I write and pretty much for any other occasion) forgive me for this.

This project completely changed me, my values and my plans for the future. I have learned so much from each and every one of them. Refugees, expatriates or locals - does it matter? Our project was perfect even with its ups and downs, with long evenings and facebook conversations. It was made with love and implemented with passion, patience and one main goal - to integrate the refugees and expatriates.

The group not only attended the meetings and trainings, it became a team, something I wasn't sure I could make them become. They stayed together for World Refugee Day events, volunteered and helped me out so much. They are my biggest accomplishment. I am so proud of them...

I love you guys! And I will miss each and every one of you...

There. I let out my emotions. Sue me.

If you want to learn more about the project, please visit here.

Speaking of World Refugee Day... read my next post and you will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment