Monday, June 24, 2013

World Refugee Day

While my internship was doing great at UNHCR, I decided to extended for two extra months so I can participate in preparations of World Refugee Day and work under supervision of Anahit. The experience I have gained in the past two months were nothing like what I thought it would be. It was crazy in all senses of the word! So much to do, so much to get ready for and most importantly, the amount of responsibility I got turned my life into something completely different.

There is a saying "Be careful for what you wish for 'cause you just may get it". I often forget this and wish things that I am not ready for. World Refugee Day was one of those cases. Don't worry, everything turned out to be good in the end. I survived!

I was very excited to start and honestly, I was very much prepared that I am going to "rock everyone's world". Two months prior to World Refugee Day (which is June 20th btw) we were already preparing the lists of events we were going to have. After long and painful hours of drafting the budget and crossing the fingers for its final approval, after so many cups of coffee in the morning, afternoon and night, gazillion phone calls, fights and made-ups, and whatnots, we finally came up with the very final agenda for World Refugee Day (WRD) which basically pretty big! In my blog I will just write about those that I was engaged in, leaving the rest of nice events out (sorry).

So, this is the agenda of the events for an entire week of WRD.

June 16 - Flash-mob "Texture of the City we Found"
June 17 - WRD in Darbnik Village
June 18 - Integration seminar (not really my thing, but I had to be there)
June 20 - A morning show "Aravot Luso" hosted UNHCR Representative, a Press Conferance at UN Hall with media representatives, exhibition and Umbrella march (I really doubted that I would survive that day)
June 22 - Media through Arts event by Eiva at English Park
June 23 - Streetball!

I have no idea how we were going to survive this week.

Honestly, I wasn't ready for so much. On the other hand, it was an interesting challenge for me - how well will I do as an individual, as an intern and as a team-member.

I only snapped like 20 times during the whole thing, so I did good overall (in case you haven't noticed, that was sarcasm :P )

I have learned so much about people, friendships and betrayal, punctuality and just taking things easy... I can't promise that I will not do the same mistakes in the future, but I will at least know what will go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment