Monday, July 22, 2013

EMMIR Preparations

Since there is approximately 40 days left for me to start my journey in Europe, first destination being University of Oldenburg, Germany, there are a lot of things I should prepare for.

Luckily, so far I have been taking care of the "important things" like registering for the German visa, buying the ticket, arranging accommodation, etc pretty early, something that is very unlike me. I am a "last-minute" person, which has always ended pretty bad for me. Thank God my dad was around to remind me every single day that I should take care of stuff a looooot earlier than the deadline. Besides, I am growing older, I should be more responsible...

So, I already have the ticket and the visa, which means that I can already start the countdown: 40 days left for me to start the Master's Program!

Just got the German visa!


Another thing I already took care of is the accommodation, for which I was kindly assisted by the University of Oldenburg.

You know what else is weird? I already started reading the main textbook for the first semester. It's called the "The Age of Migration" by Steven Castles and Mark J. Miller. I have reached the 3rd chapter already, and I go on reading, I would most likely finish it by the time I actually have to start reading it.

So far so good... 

To be honest, I am a little nervous about being the youngest among all the students. I am only 22 and have no academic background on migration (although, EMMIR is short for European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations, and I graduated from the department of Intercultural Communication from USLU (Brusov) University in Yerevan).

What I also have researched is that many students drive a bike to school, and I decided to join them. With the help of my friends I have learned how to drive a bike in a day and now, of course not being very secure about the excellency of my skills, but still hopeful that I will somehow manage, I am going to say with confidence that in Europe I will be driving a bike!!

Riding a bike, day 2 - Already on my own!! Didn't hit anyone yet! 
I already bought almost all the Armenian souvenirs that I will take to Europe with me: some Armenian magnets, tissues, covers for wine bottles, etc. Do you think I should take Armenian wine or brandy with me? I am thinking about 5 year cognac, which I am sure is strong enough for nobody but me to drink... My dad jokes that I should only use it in case of medial need... you know...

What I didn't do yet is improving my German skills. I took German classes when I was in high-school, and even took the Sprachdiplom test (like German TOEFL). I failed the writing part, but got a diploma for the speaking assignment. It was 5 years ago, and that's one hell of a long time to forget the language... which is exactly what happened to me. BUT I'm on it. It is mandatory to take a German language class with EMMIR and I am glad that I will have the chance to finally master it.

To be honest, I can't wait to start a new life in Europe, become more independent, more mature and finally learn how to cook... Cooking, btw, is something that I also should learn while still in Armenia. I am like a new-born piggy in the kitchen - no idea what I am doing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment