Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The White Umbrella March

One of the World Refugee Day activities, as I mentioned previously, was the Umbrella march. We planned to give out 200 white umbrellas to the youth, students and members of different NGOs and informal groups, and of course refugees and repatriates.

The preparation didn't take a lot of effort: only a couple of sleepless nights, lol. However, in the end it was all worth it.

While, in the beginning I was thinking that I will not be able to control about 200 people all together and make sure it all goes smooth and according to plan, when the police came I realised at at least there will be two men who would take care of me if I lose control. 

The hardest part was the very beginning, because I thought we were late. I started panicking and calling here and there, but when we got to the Republic Square (where was our starting point) and I saw all those people patiently waiting for UNHCR and the umbrellas, I calmed myself down, pulled myself together and started ordering everyone around. Now, of course I was not alone there. I had my colleagues and the heads of the NGOs that were also trying to keep everything in order.

I think the best moment, however, was when we finally started walking. I was the very first person to walk and lead the crowd towards the well designed route (Republic Square, UN House, Amiryan Street, M. Mashtots Avenue, Freedom Square, Northern Avenue, Abovyan Street, Republic Square).

On our way, I called my mom, and I was like "Mom, where are you?" and she replied that she was coming home from work, and her workplace is on Amiryan Street, so I kinda made my Mom proud when on her way home she saw her daughter leading a humble group of 200 people. I waved at her! :)

There were a bunch of photographers and journalists and of course we were on the news! It was a good event, it really was. Probably the pictures would tell you more...


Also, here are some links of when we were on the news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6fXRpF3Pk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuB6kNzh7fY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96jpy6C4lU0
http://shamshyan.com/arm/2013-06-14-june-rebels.html
http://imyerevan.com/hy/events/view/3427

Tigran Shadunts and I are talking. I think we are late.
Before the walk started. Picture with gorgeous Syrian Armenian Ladies
The policemen and myself starting to walk on the Republic Square. This is the moment I was talking about being incredible.

Republic Square. The route is just starting

Half way through, we stopped to take pictures. 

Standing on the Freedom Square with the leaders of the NGOs that joined us. I have a scary face.
Another one, only this time Anahit (my supervisor) is standing to my right. I still have an ugly expression on my face.
One of the umbrellas! Cute, huh?
Photos taken by professionals! (c) Photolur

No comments:

Post a Comment